Compressed Air is used:
- To produce linear motion for tools, such as hand tools, air hammers, rock drills, vibrators, and power tools.
- For instrumentation, in automatic control systems, modulation of valves, machines, and processes.
- For light industrial and commercial applications.
A. Type of Air Compressors:
- Reciprocating Compressor
- Sliding Vane Compressor
- Liquid Ring Compressor
- Straight Lobe Compressor
- Rotary Screw Compressor
- Centrifugal Compressor
B. Air Compressor Accessories:
- Silencer, for reducing the noise at the suction side of the compressor.
- After-coolers, for reducing the compressed air temperature to the point which can be safe for the equipment.
- Filters, for removing the particles and dust from entering air to suction side of compressor. .
- Separators, for removing moisture from compressed air.
C. Compressed Air Dryers:
For removing fine moistures from compressed air and produce dry compressed air with refrigeration system.
- Dryers type based on the method of drying:
- High pressurization of the compressed air
- Heat of compression
D. Compressed Air Receivers
Receivers are used for:
- Storage of air.
- Equalizations of pressure variations
- Collection of residual condensate.
Receiver is installed right after compressor and before air separator and dryer.
E. Piping System Design
- Determine quantity and location of equipment using compressed air.
- Determine the pressure and flow rate requirement at each location.
- Select equipment and accessories based on end-use requirement.
- Use the appropriate pipe sizing chart for sizing the piping system.
General design parameters as a guide for calculating the system’s total pressure drop (loss):
- Equipment drop leg: 2 psi
- Hose allowance: 2 to 5 psi
- Quick disconnect coupling: 4 psi
- Lubricant: 1 to 4 psi
- Filter: 0.5 to 2 psi
F. Selecting air compressor based on:
- Total cfm of all connected air using devices.
- Maximum required pressure of all air-using devices.
- The total cfm for future expansion allowances.
- Allowable pressure drops for entire system.
- Altitude, temperature
- Location and space available for air compressor and ancillary equipment.